Monday, June 2, 2008

Miniature Update, I suppose (yeah right)

Welp, I guess it's about time for an update, eh?

This weekend was super busy, but good! Daniel and I registered at Babies 'R Us on Thursday evening, which was pretty fun--long and exhausting, but still fun! It was hilarious cuz Daniel is more worried about our little girl as a teenager bringing boys home than he is about the baby stage. :) I guess that means he'll be a great dad! I don't really remember what we did Friday night.... I think Daniel was feeling pretty bad, so we just hung around the house.

Saturday morning, we went to look at some baby furniture I had seen on CraigsList. It was perfect! So, we paid the guy for it--a dresser, changing table, and bookcase. We ended up paying for the crib and mattress that went with it, even though we already had one, because we knew a ton of pregnant couples that could probably use it. So, lo and behold, we get in the car and start driving away, I call one of the couples we know, and they're in! We went and picked up all the furniture Saturday afternoon, then Lina and Matt came by to look at the crib, bought it, and took it home. That was easy. :) And I was also glad we got to sit and hang out with them for a little while... hopefully we'll get together soon and celebrate pregnancy with each other!

Also on Saturday, Matt and Amanda, some friends from church back in Va Beach, stopped by, which was really neat. They have a cute little girl... she's about 6 months old. They live in Lynchburg and were up visiting some friends, so they stopped by and we got to chat for a little while. I really enjoyed it! I think Daniel had more fun playing with their daughter than talking to them, haha. :) He ain't afraid of those babies, that's for sure.

Thennnn my parents came into town and stayed with us Saturday night and went to church with us Sunday morning. They were excited to see all the new baby furniture and to see my finally growing belly. Sunday morning at church was our focus on poverty... about flippin' time! There's a really neat opportunity that we'll get to partner with called the First Street Church Project that's going to be a day shelter for homeless people in Charlottesville. It looks like we're going to get people involved with soup kitchens and some other things as well, so that makes me really, really happy. I've struggled for a while with my church's lack of focus on outreach to our local community (and the world at large too)... which is odd, considering it's an AG church. Usually AG churches are ALL about missions and outreach. Oh well. I was talking to my dad about it and we both feel like a lot of it has to do with the mentality of the people in Charlottesville (it's VEERRRYYYY different than Va Beach). For some reason (I'm sure it's a conglomeration of reasons), the people here won't get involved in anything unless is nicely packaged, easy to access, a big production, with a pretty bow on top. Grassroots efforts just don't seem to do it, especially with those ages 35 - 55. It's just so weird to me. Grassroots efforts are more authentic and effective in the long-term look at things, but that's just not how people operate here. So now there's finally something nicely packaged regarding outreach to the poor of our community that our church can get involved in. I'm praying that it really opens people's hearts to reaching out and getting not only financially involved, but emotionally involved as well.

Okay, well, I'll stop ranting now. :) Daniel and I are headed to a cook-out with the pastoral team from church. We're finally down to the last 2 candidates for the Spiritual Formation Pastor position, so tonight we get to interview and hang out with one of them and his wife (along with our spouses). So I am definitely looking forward to it. Plus we get to be outside!!! And I made a white cake with cool whip and fruit. MMMMmmmmmm.... can't wait to get my hands on a piece of that yummy-ness!

No comments: