Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Word on Gas Prices...

I'll post about Cancun when I get home and can upload pictures.   But for now... can I just say something?  

I get so irritated when I hear about people (American especially) complaining about gas prices.  Why, you may ask?  Sure, gas is getting expensive--and it'll only get more expensive as time continues to pass and oil becomes less and less abundant.  But the price of gas is not the problem.  The problem is that people are unwilling to make lifestyle changes to reduce the amount of gas that they consume.  Perhaps we could drive less?  Carpool?  Ride a bike?  Trade in 2 cars for one fuel-efficient vehicle?  Get some freaking exercise, for crying out loud?  Be more modest with the amenities in our homes?  Buy locally grown food?  There are so many different ways that mankind could be working towards relieving the problem--not the problem of the cost of fuel, but the problem of wasteful living.  Sure, there are some people who are doing what they can, regardless of whether or not they think it's "cool" or "hip".  Tree-hugger or not, at least  they're doing something.  Something that could really make a difference if mankind as a whole would catch on to the attitude and mindset behind it.

So unless our national and global community makes a move toward doing something productive instead of simply complaining, I don't want to hear about it anymore.  

1 comment:

Baguette said...

Calie, I read your blog from time to time and I want to say -- Amen to this posting. Couldn't agree more. And also, congrats on being very close to having this baby! I know it will have a very loving family! hope you are well! you are in my prayers!
love,
kristen