Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Perspective

I've been reading a lot of conservative Christian responses to the results of yesterday's election, and I have to say that I am both disappointed and rather disgusted. Here's why...

First of all, have we forgotten that God is always sovereign and always on His throne? Have we lost trust in His perfect will? Do we really believe that one person is going to cause the demise of one of the strongest nations on earth? Seriously--do people really believe that??

I understand that Obama has a very liberal platform and that he has the most liberal voting record in the Senate. I also understand that the Democrats have control of Congress. But honestly, I don't think that yesterday's outcome is about policies or about political party preferences. It's about a nation that is continuing to overcome racial oppression, prejudice, and misconception.

I am so proud of the United States of America. I am so excited about what kind of healing is going to come from this election. I am ecstatic that my daughter's first memory of the President of the United States is going to be an African American. As I watched Obama give his acceptance speech last night, I was overjoyed to the point of tears. As I listened to him list off events in our nation's history where the American people joined together to make huge steps forward, I couldn't help but rejoice in the unity of blacks, whites, latinos, and every other ethnicity to see something like this take place. We did it, America. You've proven to me that we truly are in this together.

And for the record, no, I didn't vote for Obama. But that doesn't mean I can't rejoice in his victory.