Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

So... I experienced my first bout of "real" contractions last night! Clearly nothing productive came of them, but it was at least good to get a glimpse of what the sensation will be. It was weird because I started off just feeling bad... I don't know if I was dehydrated or what, but I got really nauseous. I felt like I needed to eat but the thought of food made me want to puke. I was pretty gassy too. Later, my stomach would tighten and I'd have what felt like a menstrual cramp in my lower back and lower abdomen. It would last for about 30 - 45 seconds or so, increasing in intensity until about the half-way point, then it would die down. I had a few episodes of that, but again, nothing productive and it only lasted about 30 - 45 minutes.

Daniel made the joke that it would be really funny if I went into labor on Labor Day--It would be a real Labor Day for me! But, so far, no laboring on Labor Day (and no shared birthdays either... Keagan's birthday is today).

I go back to the doctor tomorrow and I can ask him about my little episode when I'm there... I'm sure he'll just say it's my body gearing up for the real thing. I also get tested for Group B Strep tomorrow. I really hope it's a negative test, because if it's positive, it means they'll have to give me an IV during labor so they can give me antibiotics.... and I was kind of banking on not having an IV at all... actually, I was kind of banking on not getting to the hospital until about an hour or two before Hannah's born. We'll see. Pray that if I do have it, that it'll disappear within the next 24 hours. :) Does anyone know if there's another treatment for it besides antibiotics through an IV during labor?

Alrighty, well, today is my big return day from a bunch of stuff I've received from all my showers. I had my final shower yesterday afternoon, so I figured I would wait until that one was over to return the things that I need to return. The unfortunate thing is that a lot of people don't understand the concept of gift receipts, so I'm going to have to beg and plead for some of these stores to take their merchandise back... Hopefully they'll be gracious to a girl who's 9 months pregnant!

No comments: